Headaches can cause a person a lot of distress when it is fully developed. Some people are suffering from this condition frequently and it really put’s a staple in their lives. There are four common types of headaches: Migraine, tension-type, cluster and cervicogenic.
This article will emphasize the symptoms, causes, and treatments of a tension-type headache.
Tension-type headaches develop usually from a muscular origin. The most common muscles that cause this headache to develop are the temporalis, suboccipital, trapezius, and sternocleidomastoid. These muscles will feel tight, ropy and tender to the touch. They will give off referred pain that will travel around the skull and elicit pain in that area. These muscles are stereotypically problematic in a person with a rounded posture. Therefore, posture may directly impact tension-type headaches.
Another big contributor to a headache episode is a stressful mindset. Stress has been considered the “silent killer”. A continuous stressful life will bring on muscular tension and cause referred pain to the skull.
Other small contributors to this condition can be a variety of foods, certain strenuous activities and straining of the eyes.
Tension-Type Headache Classification based on Signs and Symptoms:
A tension-type headache has at least 2 of the following characteristics:
- Bilateral location
- Pressing/tightening (non-pulsating) quality
- Mild or moderate intensity
- Not aggravated by routine physical activity such as walking or climbing stairs
Both of the following:
- No nausea or vomiting (anorexia may occur)
- No more than one of the following: 1) Sensitivity to light 2) Sensitivity to sound
People with this condition can get a significant amount of relief from a chiropractor. A chiropractor will perform the following techniques:
- Chiropractic adjustment: Help restores proper joint motion, relax muscles and increase range of motion.
- Soft Tissue Release: Directly break up adhesion in the muscular bellies that are causing chronic tightness.
- Prescribed exercises: Reverse muscular imbalances by strengthening weak muscles and relaxing tight muscles.
- Passive Modalities: Heat is an example that can help relax muscles before treatment is administered.
Tension-Type headaches can be very problematic and annoying for people. However, the good news is that it’s a condition that can be limited or removed if you seek the proper care. Conservative therapy can make a huge difference for individuals that suffer from this type of headache!
If you’re a person suffering from this condition don’t let it take over your life anymore. Come for a chiropractic consultation!