Physiotherapy for Tennis Elbow: Relief and Recovery
At Central Health Rehab Tennis elbow is a very common injury that our Whitby Physiotherapists treat in the clinic. Tennis elbow, also known as lateral epicondylitis, is a common overuse injury that occurs when the muscles and tendons in the elbow become strained and inflamed. This condition can be caused by a variety of activities, but is most often seen in athletes who participate in racket sports such as tennis and badminton. The pain associated with tennis elbow can range from mild to severe and can make everyday activities, such as gripping objects or lifting, extremely difficult.
Our Whitby physiotherapists are an effective treatment option for tennis elbow, as they can help to reduce pain, improve flexibility, and strengthen the muscles and tendons in the elbow. Some common physiotherapy techniques that may be used to treat tennis elbow include:
- Our Whitby physiotherapists perform stretching exercises can help to improve flexibility in the elbow and surrounding muscles. These stretches should be performed gently and gradually increased in intensity as the elbow becomes stronger.
- Our Whitby physiotherapists perform specific strengthening exercises can help to strengthen the muscles and tendons in the elbow, improving their ability to withstand the strain of everyday activities. These exercises may include wrist curls, finger extensions, and gripping exercises.
- Our Whitby physiotherapists apply icing protocols to the affected area can help to reduce inflammation and pain. It is important to wrap the ice in a towel to avoid frostbite and to apply it for no more than 20 minutes at a time.
- Our Whitby physiotherapists apply heat therapy protocol that can be used to improve blood flow and reduce muscle stiffness. A heating pad or warm compress can be applied to the affected area for short periods of time.
- Our Whitby physiotherapists perform massaging techniques to the affected muscles and tendons can help to improve circulation and reduce muscle tension. This can be done by our Whitby physiotherapists or with the use of a foam roller.
- Our Whitby physiotherapists perform ultrasound therapy that uses sound waves to increase blood flow and reduce inflammation. This treatment is often combined with other physiotherapy techniques to enhance their effectiveness.
In addition to physiotherapy, there are several self-care measures that can help to relieve the pain and discomfort associated with tennis elbow. These include:
- Resting the affected arm: It is important to give the elbow time to heal by avoiding activities that put strain on it.
- Wearing a brace or splint: A brace or splint can help to support the elbow and reduce the strain on the muscles and tendons.
- Over-the-counter pain medication: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen can help to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Avoiding activities that put strain on the elbow: It is important to avoid activities that may exacerbate the condition, such as lifting heavy objects or participating in racket sports.
It is important to consult with our Whitby physiotherapists or healthcare provider to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for tennis elbow. With the right treatment and self-care measures, most individuals with tennis elbow can experience relief and make a full recovery.